Monday, July 15, 2013

Is Anything Too Hard For The Lord?

Jeremiah buys a field

Jeremiah 32:6-17
"And Jeremiah said, The word of the Lord came to me, saying, 'Behold, Hanamel the son of Shallum your uncle will come to you, saying, 'Buy my field which is Anathoth , for the right of redemption is yours to buy it.' Then Hanamel my uncle's son came to me in the court of the prison according to the word of the Lord, and said to me, 'Please buy my field that is in Anathoth, which is in the country of Benjamin; for the right of inheritance is yours, and the redemption yours buy it for yourself.' Then I knew that this was the word of the Lord.
So I brought the field from Hanamel, the son of my uncle was in Anathoth, and weighed out to him the money--seventeen shekels of silver.
And I signed the deed and sealed it, took witnesses, and weighed the money on the scales. So I took the purchase deed to Baruch the son of Neriah, son of Mahseiah, in the presence of Hanamel my uncle's son, and in the presence of the witnesses who signed the purchase deed, before all the Jews who sat in the court of the prison.
Then I charged Baruch before them, saying, Thus says the Lord of Hosts, the God of Israel: Take these deeds, both this purchase deed which is sealed and this deed with is open, and put them in an earthen vessel, that they may last many days. For thus says the Lord of Hosts, the God of Israel: "Houses and fields and vineyards shall be possessed in this land."

Jeremiah prays, "Ah Lord God! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and outstretched arm. There is nothing too hard for You.

verses 26-27 Then the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah saying, "Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is there anything too hard for Me?"

verses 36-44
Now, therefore, thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, concerning this of which you say, It shall be delivered into the hand of the king of Babylon by the sword, by the famine, and by the pestilence:
Behold, I will gather them out of all countries where I have driven them in My anger, in My fury, and in great wrath; I will bring them back to this place, and I will cause them to dwell safely.
They shall be my people, and I will be their God; then I will give them one heart and one way, that they may fear Me forever, for the good of them and their children after them. And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from doing them good; but I will put My fear in their hearts so that they will not depart from Me. Yes, I will rejoice over them to do them good, and I will assuredly plant them in this land, with all My heart and with all My soul.
For thus says the Lord: Just as I have brought all this great calamity on this people, so I will bring on them all the good that I have promised them.
And fields will be bought in this land of which you say, It is desolate, without man or beast; it has been given into the hand of the Chaldeans.
Men will buy fields for money, signs deeds and seal them, and take witnesses, in the land of Benjamin, in the places around Jerusalem, in the cities of Judah, in the cities of the mountains, in the cities of the lowland, and in the cities of the South; for I will cause their captives to return, says the Lord.

The language of this section of the chapter (verses 36-44) strongly ties the Lord's teaching back to the New Covenant of Jeremiah 31. Here it is the "everlasting covenant (32:40) that the Lord will fulfill for the nation, and the people will not depart from Him.
This wording shows fulfillment that goes beyond the Jewish people's return after the exile in Babylon, only to be judged later in A.D. 70 by the Romans.
This promise of God extends to the nation's ultimate restoration to spirituality, as well as glory in the endtimes.
Jeremiah's field reminds us that nothing is too hard for the Lord (vs 17).

No comments:

Post a Comment